Tuesday

Mostly I want to read.

I'm so glad that I decided to take the Steinbeck class this semester. I have always wanted to read his other books, but like all books that I plan to read, I never get around to it.
I read east of Eden while at the Grand Canyon and I was smitten. I read grapes of wrath in high school. But no Steinbeck since.. Not even of mice and men! Well, I read OMAM last night, and loved it so dearly I want to read it again. I love my Steinbeck.
This semester there will be no time for much else, but oh boy brotha! This summer is my reading summer. I'm going to compose a list of all the books I'd like to read in my lifetime.
I just need it. I need to drink deeply of those words. They satisfy me. They soothe me. They open my heart and mind. My heart and mind must be open for me to be happy.
Mostly I am excited for Thoreau!!! He is truly my lover from another time. (Not even close to Seth though.)
Lately, Seth and I have been talking a lot about life. We really like it. And we like that we are in charge. We get to choose what we want to do with this time, however long it is.
It is liberating! And though I've always felt this way, I have had to strive to teach Seth how to view the world differently, how to view things critically. I don't mean how to view things my way, no, but rather to naturally perceive all of the different ways of seeing a thing, and exploring those paths.
How do other countries live? Other cultures? What is work ethic? Do we have good values as a society? How do they align with our spiritual beliefs? What does it mean to be lazy? Are all things relative? What is the meaning of language? Why do these things matter? What matters???
Basically, we want to move to the wild and live our lives free of possession and raise our babies and live off the fat of the land!
Wahoo!!









0 comments:

love after love

The time will come when, with elation,
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the other's welcome,
and say
sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger
who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread.
Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you all your life...

Take down the love
letters from the bookshelf,
the photographs,
the desperate notes, peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit.
Feast on your life.

~Derek Walcott

bring it on back

and i am telling you..

i'm karlee. i have a husband and a daughter. (well ok, she's a puppy.) this is the world through my eyes.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP